Module 2 ~ April 8-20, 2019
We felt that doing Module 2 farther up into the mountains would be a welcome treat, and highly conducive to our teaching-focused training.
It’s quiet, and the clear blue skies and forest air are a sanctuary for the soul. When our Heart of Sound team visited in April 2017, we all fell in love and felt that it was like coming home… Module 2 in April 2018 was nothing short of amazing for all of us.
Summary: Arrive to Uttarkashi retreat house April 7th, 2019, and depart after 11AM checkout April 21st.
In detail: We recommend that first-time visitors to the area arrive to Rishikesh 2-3 days before (April 5-6) to see the holy city and do some shopping for clothes, food, and souveniers. It’s really a charming place, and it’s a nice landing after long international travel. Also, there is nothing you’d want to buy in any of the villages past Rishikesh. (Unless you like super-spicy, salty chips and cheap knockoff branded clothing from China?) You may also arrange your own taxi directly from the Dehra Dun airport to our retreat house (5 hours), or from the Delhi airport (9-10 hours).
On April 7th, we’ll depart Rishikesh via shared taxi or Tempo Traveller (small bus) from Parmarth Niketan Ashram between 6-7AM in the morning, and take a leisurely drive through the mountain villages, fields, and forests. We’ll stop for chai, photos, and roadside scenery a few times, and about 6 hours later we’ll pull off the highway towards the glittering Ganga and enter the haven of our retreat house! We’ll be served a late lunch of local vegetable curry, fresh made breads, salad, and raita before we check into our rooms and have a rest for the remainder of the day. As soon as you reach there, you’ll realize it’s worth the drive!
Module 2 classes will be held April 8-20, starting at dawn and finishing around sunset. The schedule will be similar to our other trainings, with a few half-days off for group pilgrimages and nature experiences to be determined. With everyone staying in the same location and sharing meals together, we imagine it’ll be a much more restful, peaceful, focused experience than trainings where everyone has to get meals during the breaks and/or some stay off-campus.
During breaks, you are free to take several short hikes nearby to a bridge over the river, and you can continue further up along village trails and small mountain temples. You might see a solitary wandering Himalayan yogi doing oblations nearby, washing his long dreadlocks in the river. (We did!)
Early Bird Offer of $2050 until January 3, 2019 if paid in full at time of registration. $2150 for late or partial payments.
- 14 nights of shared accommodation. All rooms have their own bathrooms with hot water, which is either electric or solar-electric.
- 3 meals per day of delicious sāttvic lovingly prepared food:
– Breakfast is porridge, fruit, and chai, or an Indian-style poha (spiced rice and vegetables), with dahl, etc.
– Lunch is vegetable, dahl, rice, chapati, and curd
– Afternoon chai and light snacks
– Dinner is a different vegetable, soup, and sometimes a sweet
(See more about the food details on the Detailed Registration Form below.)
- Shared transport from Rishikesh on April 7th (6-7 AM departure)
Does NOT include:
- Transport back to the Dehradun airport or Rishikesh, or onward to a trekking destination can be arranged. For example, it’s about $75 for a private taxi to Dehradun (5 hours), or about the same to hire a car for an entire day or multiple days if you want to explore around. The mountains beyond Uttarkashi just get more and more incredibly beautiful, so we highly encourage you to extend your trip and take the chance!
- Transportation if you choose to travel a different route, or at a different time, than our shared transit from Rishikesh on April 7th.
- Accommodation beyond the 14 nights included in our group reservation. The room price is 1200-1600 RS per night, per room, and meals are 350-400RS extra.
- Single room upgrade fees, if available. We won’t know if single rooms will be available until shortly before the training. If you’d like to request one, please note so on your application.
- Snacks, protein powders, superfoods, special teas, good coffee, etc. The food is delicious and simple, but you will probably want to bring a stash of your own yummies too. A wide variety is easily available in Rishikesh, but NOT in Uttarkashi.
1. Referral fees for promoting the course are available to registered students.
2. A discount of approximately $50 per Module for online bank transfer payments via Transferwise. USD, AUD, EUR & GBP are accepted by direct transfer.
3. Payment plans are also available; if a payment plan is required, there is a 5% charge to cover the additional administration cost.
4. Special pricing is available by request for Indian nationals; please inquire.
A $500 deposit is due whether you’re choosing a payment plan or if you qualify for special Indian national pricing. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
Cancellation policy: Students will receive a 75% refund if requested 90 days or more before the course, and a 50% refund if requested after 90 days. No refunds will be issued less than 30 days in advance. Submission of your payment indicates your acceptance of the cancellation policy.
Super Early-bird Registration:
Step 1: Pay
Additional Packing Considerations for Module 2
If you’re coming *only* for Module 2, please also review the Getting To and From Rishikesh page for detailed logistical information before contacting us with questions. Chances are, your question is already answered there!
- Please bring enough cash (preferably in rupees) to cover any incidental expenses and/or any further Himalayan adventures. You can also bring foreign currency, but getting out to exchange it might not be convenient. There are ATMS in Uttarkashi but they might not be working.
- Even though it’ll be warm during the day, the Uttarkashi area may get cool at night during April, so many of the same packing suggestions apply. Bring some extra long sleeved shirts, socks and even some rain gear to guarantee you stay warm and dry in the mountains.
- Bring your own snacks, protein powders, superfoods, special teas, good coffee, etc. The food is delicious and simple, but you will probably want to bring a stash of your own yummies too. A wide variety is easily available in Rishikesh, but NOT in Uttarkashi.
- Please bring your own yoga mat. (Rubber or cotton ones are easily available in Rishikesh for about $5 US.)
- Bring prescriptions or any other medical supplies. There are pharmacies and medical services in nearby Uttarkashi, but the supplies may be limited.
- The pillows at the retreat house are fantastically firm. If you prefer a soft pillow you may wish to bring your own.
- At present, there is NO WIFI at the retreat location. 3G/4G network is available intermittently if you have a local SIM card (As of 2018 IDEA is the only company that works). Before coming, please update your software and apps, download any necessary files to access offline, and inform friends and co-workers that you will be on digital detox. Make sure you’ve completed your Mantra Research Project before arriving, because it’ll be very difficult or impossible to locate resources after you arrive.
- Since we are tucked away in the high Himalayas the power source for our electricity can have surges and can burn out chargers for computers. Please plan accordingly and look into a surge protector to charge your electronics if you plan on bringing a computer and other devices. As we mentioned before, this is a great time for a digital detox!
After the training
Checkout is April 21st at 11 AM.
If you’d like to extend your reservation beyond our group time, tell the retreat house owner when you arrive.
What to do on April 21st:
It’s highly recommended to visit Gangotri, the small village and temple that celebrates the source of the Ganges. It’s a gorgeous day drive, and you can overnight in the village and go all the way back to Rishikesh or Dehra Dun the next day if you wish.
If you’re a hiker and want a sublime Himalayan adventure, take a few more days to continue further by foot to the actual source, the Gangotri glacier, and beyond that, to the stunning Tapovan high mountain meadow. Plan 4-7 days for the excursion round trip from Uttarkashi (and another 5 hours to Rishikesh or Dehra Dun airport from Uttarkashi.)
Vedic Chanting Course with Ammaji
The head of the Pūrṇa Vidya āśram is a wonderful woman everyone calls Ammaji. She offered to teach a 5-7 day course (April 28-May 4, 2019) in Vedic chanting for anyone who would like to learn the traditional style of chanting per her lineage . She and her teacher Swami Siddhabodhananda are deeply rooted in Advaita Vedanta and are both illustrious teachers. We’re deeply honored that Ammaji allowed Anandra and the Heart of Sound course participants to be the very first people to stay in her āśram outside of her own teaching retreats in 2018!
A portion of your retreat fee goes to support their charitable projects benefiting local villagers to receive quality education, especially the young girls. More about Ammaji’s organization here: http://purnavidya.org/
Please indicate on the Detailed Registration Form that you’d like more information as it’s available. We’re mentioning it now so you can consider it in your travel plans.
Module 2 Uttarkashi Detailed Logistics & Registration
After you’ve submitted your payment and been accepted to attend Module 2, please provide your detailed registration information below.
You can edit your responses after submission (to update travel arrival/departure details, for instance).
Please SAVE the email receipt you’ll get after submitting this form, and use the link provided to EDIT it when you know your details.
Email email@example.com if you need further assistance completing your registration. Thank you!