Retreat into the Heart of Sound
~ Italy ~
August 15-19, 2019
Join us for an intimate luxury retreat in the famous hills
outside of Modena & Bologna in Northern Italy
Vieni sui colli Modenese a cantare la canzone del tuo cuore con mantra sanscrito e lo yoga del suono!
Per l’informazione in italiano, manda un’ email a firstname.lastname@example.org
“Revelation follows ecstasy; all knowledge that a book can never contain and that a language can never express,
nor a teacher teaches, comes to him of itself [through music].”
– Hazrat Inayat Khan, Sufi Musician
Join us for a transformative 5-day immersion into the yoga of sound! The eternal thread that connects creation with the creator is sacred sound. All mystic traditions concur, and the direct, tangible, blissful path of pure vibration is accessible to all! No dogma and no experience required; this retreat is simply an invitation into the heart-opening, timeless practices of mantra and music.
- Find your heart’s voice and sing!
- Restore, refresh, and rejuvenate your connection to Self
- Discover what’s deeply alive in you
- Relax deeply into your precious body instrument
On a practical level, you will:
- Awaken your Sanskrit mantra chanting with the living vibrations of each alphabet and more precise, refined pronunciation
- Learn tantric, non-dual philosophy of the Sanskrit alphabet as a language of creation
- Explore the tones of Indian music (Sa, Re, Ga, etc.) and enjoy Indian rāga-based devotional songs
- Use the creative power of mantra to master your mind, transform old habits, and illuminate new potentials for your life
- Empower yourself with yoga of sound tools to maintain and deepen connection in your daily life
- Learn how to set up your own home chant practice space with harmonium and tānpūrā app basics
Non-musicians and musicians, introverts and extroverts, and all genders, ages, religious backgrounds, nationalities and walks of life are welcome to the Heart of Sound!
On a sensual level, you will:
- Feel the “la dolce vita” Italian style, a sweet old world pace of life filled with presence and celebrating simple pleasures
- Taste a foodie’s paradise: exquisite farm to table meals prepared by famous Danish chef and retreat proprietor Charlotte Hansen, and taste parmigiano cheese and balsamic vinegar in the region where they were invented. Heavenly drinking water is directly from the artesian spring on the property.
- Touch fine linens, elegant table settings, and a hundred luxury details… and get an (optional) massage
- See the lovely countryside and quaint villages during (optional, self-paced) long morning walks in the hills
- Smell the exquisite rose collection, summer garden, and fresh forest air
- And of course… Hear the sound of your own heart’s voice singing in concert with nature and each other!
- Relax by the pool under the rose-covered gazebo as you spend lazy afternoons in repose and self-connection
Anandra is an internationally respected Sanskrit mantra teacher and musician who created the world’s first and only certified yoga teacher training focused entirely on the transformational power of sound and mantra, the Heart of Sound 200-hr RYT. Read more about Anandra here.
Joanna shares her time between Italy and Hawaii and loves to travel the world sharing her passion for nourishing the mind body and soul. She works with groups as well as individuals utilizing sound, movement, food, and techniques to clear the mental obstacles bring us back to true, lasting peace and happiness.
(If we have Italian guests requiring translation, Anandra will teach in English with Italian translation, and Joanna will teach in English + Italian.)
Retreat participants have two options:
1. Enjoy the experience as a retreat and rest during the optional class times.
2. Take the retreat as a training and participate in the optional classes, to a) fulfill the prerequisite for attending the Heart of Sound 200-hour Teacher Training, and/or b) earn 40 hours of Continuing Education Credits for Yoga Alliance.
Arrive in the afternoon, check in, and relax.
5:30 – 7:00pm ~ Opening circle and evening devotional chanting
7:30 – 9:00pm ~ Farm-t0-table gourmet dinner on the terrace with chef Charlotte
August 16 – 17 – 18
7:00 – 8:30 ~ Deep morning Heart of Sound practice with nāda yoga and mantra meditation.
8:30 – 11:00 ~ Breakfast and your own exercise – a dip in the pool or a walk through the country fields
11:00 – 12:30 ~ Class time (optional for those attending solely as a retreat)
12:30 – 5:00 ~ Lunch, rest, personal practice, pool time, swim, walk, or simply enjoy nature and good company!
5:00 – 6:30 ~ Light yin yogāsana and guided self-massage
6:30 – 7:30 ~ Spontaneous group singing, or other play as inspiration arises!
8:00 ~ Dinner outdoors on the terrace for sunset
7:00 – 9:00am ~ Morning Heart of Sound practice with nāda yoga and mantra meditation.
9:00 – 10:00 ~ Breakfast
10:00 ~ Checkout of rooms
11:00-12:30 ~ Final Class time together
12:30 ~ Lunch and Departure
Yoga Alliance teachers are eligible for 40 continuing education credits.
Exclusive Learning Resources Include:
- Kīrtan lyrics in proper transliteration, Hindustanī vocal toning exercises, and rāga practice notes.
- Sanskrit alphabet chart with tattva, chakra, and body point correlations.
- Mantras in hard-to-find properly transliterated Sanskrit and word-by-word meanings.
- MP3s of the alphabet and mantras.
- Access to private instructional videos
Where: The beautiful agriturismo Due Papaveri between Modena and Bologna
Early Bird Pricing €1195 until June 15
This is going to be an intimate group of sound yogīs inspired to dive deep into the yoga of sound together. Space is limited to the first 10 people who follow the call in their heart and register!
Because Due Papaveri is such an extraordinary location for our retreat, we encourage you to bring a friend or partner with you and share one of the luxurious rooms. If you bring a loved one and share a room together, we will gift YOU! Each of you will get €50 off your tuition. contact email@example.com for more details.
If you share the love with friends and family and others come to the retreat, you will get a €50 referral fee for each person that attends.
For past Heart of Sound students: We would love to have you with us for another memorable experience of singing and sharing in sacred sound together. Join us in Italy and receive €100 euros off of the tuition.
We are feeling the love and specialness of this place and want to share it with you! For any questions regarding these special discounts, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Your Payment Includes:
- Retreat tuition
- Exclusive course learning resources (listed above)
- 4 nights in a shared room with large king size bed (with one or possibly two others in the larger suites)
- Meals: 3 gourmet meals a day by the Internationally renowned chef and owner from
August 16-18, as well as dinner on August 15 and breakfast and lunch on August 19.
Does Not include:
- Transportation to or from the retreat location. (If you reserve ahead by emailing email@example.com, you can schedule a pickup from BLQ airport to the retreat center on August 15th afternoon as well as drop off late afternoon of the 19th for 40 euros one way)
Cancellation Policy: There is a non-refundable €500 euro deposit. Students will receive a 75% refund of remaining tuition if requested 90 days or more before the course, and a 50% refund if requested after 90 days. No refunds will be issued less than 45 days in advance.
How to Register
Option 1: Paypal or Credit Card
This allows us to gather some important information to help us best plan for your needs, so thank you for taking the time to fill out the form!
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions in Italian or English.
Address: Our retreat training is at the beautiful agriturismo Due Papaveri Resort
It is an hour outside of Bologna in the hills of Emilia-Romagna. Please take a look at their website to see the breathtaking vistas, gorgeous grounds and the luscious products they cultivate.
Flights: The most direct way to arrive would be to fly into Bologna (BLQ) and then either rent a car for the hour-long drive to the resort or we will offer airport pickup for a reasonable fee (please see above). To check out fairs you can use www.skyscanner.com or another favorite www.kayak.com. Fairs might be a little more expensive than flying into Milan or Rome but the extra time and expense of added train travel will make it worth the while. However, if you are planning to do some touring of Italy before you join us, you can also arrive at any of the Italian airports (Milan, Venice, Rome, Florence) and then plan train travel from those cities into Bologna and either rent a car to arrive or ask us about an airport pickup. For good fairs on trains, book ahead at www.trenitalia.com
Arrival Time: You can arrive between 3-5 pm on Thursday, August 15. We will be busy getting everything in order and ask that you do not arrive earlier than 3 pm.
If your flight arrives early in the day or even a couple of days in advance, we suggest connecting with the other students in the Facebook event discussion, to see if someone would like to share transportation from the airport to the retreat, have a meal, do some sightseeing in Bologna or shopping, etc.
Orientation: A delicious vegetarian dinner will be provided that first evening around 7:30 pm as well as a short group orientation. Do try and arrive in time for this event, and, if for any reason you won’t arrive in time, please do let us know!
Rooms: The retreat package includes shared accommodation like the room pictured above at left. There is one large king size bed with two duvets and an additional futon can be arranged if requested in advance. There are two double rooms as well as two larger mini-apartments that can house 3 people.
Departure Time: We will complete our time together after one last nourishing lunch together on Monday, August 19th
What to expect for August in Italy:
This is a lovely time of year in the Italian countryside! Summer will be in full swing and the temperatures will be nice and warm, but since we are located in the hills, the nights will be cool. Averages temperatures should range from around 24°C/75°F during the day and a crisp 17°C/64°F at night.
- your favorite yoga mat (we can provide if requested)
- a swimsuit and flip-flops for the pool
- prescription medications
- afternoon snacks for your own adventures (granola bars, trail mix, etc.)
- reusable water bottle (natural spring water is available at the retreat)
- slippers or socks (the floors at the retreat or in the yoga can get a little cold at night or in the early morning)
- jacket, pants, hat, and scarf for night-time stargazing
- journal, pens, highlighters, index cards, and your other favorite study tools
We will be at the resort during out time together, so you can bring clothes that are casual and comfortable. We will be doing a mixture of sitting and light moving, so yoga wear will work. During some of our free time, you will have opportunities to relax at the pool or do some light hiking in the area, so appropriate attire for those activities. In the evenings you may want a long-sleeved shirt, pants, or a light sweater.
Food: We’ll provide breakfast, lunch, and dinner from August 16-18, as well as our first dinner together on August 15 and our last breakfast and farewell lunch on August 19. Our hosts will also have tea and fresh fruit available all day, every day.
All meals will be vegetarian and will highlight the fruits and vegetables of the season, with many items grown on property!
Please note ALL of your dietary restrictions on the registration form. We may or not be able to accommodate unusual requests but will do our best if given enough notice.
There are no services in the small town of Benedello. If you have your own vehicle, you can venture to Pavullo Nel Frignano, which is about a 20-minute drive from the resort and has many small food stores, banks, pharmacies, cute shops as well as all the amenities you might need.
A list of activities for our free time will be provided upon your arrival.
I’m arriving early (or staying after the retreat). Can I book extra nights at the resort? Yes! Please contact Due Papaveri directly either by phone (+39) 053622618 – (+39) 335472539 or via email: email@example.com to arrange a few extra nights stay or even a week-long cooking course they host.