This festive season, show your devotion and personal style by being a progressive trendsetter! Try these tips for having a green Diwali that is deeply moving and demonstrates a “return to light” and the abundance of a healthy planet for all, rather than the competitive showcasing of wealth that marks a typical celebration.
- Resist the temptation for material excess… Less is more! Give handmade edibles and quality heirloom, handcrafted gifts. Support traditional weavers, khadi, and craftspeople rather than machine-made synthetic goods which contribute to the pollution of our air and waterways.
- Donate to charities on behalf of loved ones rather than add to their stockpile of unused items.
- Reduce packaging by wrapping gifts in beautiful reusable cloths or woven baskets made of natural materials instead of plastic, styrofoam which ends up in the lungs of the world after being burnt.
- If you are a vegetarian, consider gifting fine cottons instead of silks, which is made by killing thousands of silkworms for every saree.
- Reduce the electricity burden by lighting a single clay and ghee lamp. Rest assured that Lakṣmī will find your home and bless your family outrageously when you sincerely invite her into your heart by caring for creation and sharing your abundance with others on a daily basis throughout the year.
- Instead of elaborate pujas, slow down, chant a few key mantras all together with your family and feel your connectedness through the sound vibration. Take a few deep breaths and relax into silence together. One and all will feel the sacredness.
Explode your heart in joyful Rāmanama sankīrtan rather than burst crackers, which permanently damage your hearing and add toxic carcinogenic chemicals to the atmosphere. (It is especially dangerous for children to be exposed to the noise and smoke.) At the very least, use earplugs and a vog mask when crackers are being burst in your area.
Do you have other tips?
Post them on www.facebook.com/truefreedomcoaching and tag #greendiwali!